You still have time to register for the upcoming Accounting Alumni Appreciation Day at Middle Tennessee State University.
The 22nd annual event will be held from 7:30 a.m. to 4:50 p.m. Thursday, May 2, in the State Farm Lecture Hall of the Business and Aerospace Building.
The event is targeted to those interested in accounting, taxation and computer training.
The fee will be $100 each for MTSU alumni and $150 for all others; the fee includes lunch. Net proceeds will be earmarked for accounting scholarships.
Participants will earn eight hours of CPE credit and have the opportunity to visit with alumni and former professors and see how the campus configuration is changing.
Dr. James Burton, outgoing dean of the Jennings A. Jones College of Business, and Dr. Robert “Smitty” Smith, chair of the Department of Accounting, will open the conference and introduce the first speaker: Scott Augenbaum, supervisory special agent for the FBI Cyber Crime Squad, who will speak on “Cyber Security: A Significant Business Risk.”
During the afternoon general session, Dr. Stan Clark, MTSU associate professor of accounting, will discuss “Current Issues in Revenue Recognition.” David Haddock, director of training for Nashville-headquartered accounting and financial services giant LBMC, will end the conference with a session on “TN State-Specific Ethics.”
Breakout sessions and leaders will include:
- “Advanced Excel and Microsoft Access” with Dr. Tammy Bahmanziari, MTSU assistant professor.
- “Current Issues in Managerial Accounting,” Dr. Jeannie Harrington, MTSU associate professor.
- “Common Mistakes in Problem Solving” with Dr. Becky Heath, MTSU associate professor.
- “Business Law Watch: An Update on Business Litigation in Tennessee,” Dr. Lara Daniel, MTSU professor.
- “Issues in Taxation” with Dr. Tim Koski, MTSU professor.
- “Audit Update,” MTSU instructor Bill Mooningham.
- “Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) Update,” with accounting department chair Smith.
- “Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) Update” with Dr. Paula Thomas, MTSU professor.
- Facilitator/Student Presentations led by Dr. Terry Ward, MTSU professor.
You can view the full schedule at http://tinyurl.com/MTAccountingAlumni2013.
Seating is limited, so participants should register early at http://tinyurl.com/MTAcctgAlumReg2013.
For more information, call the MTSU Department of Accounting at 615-898-5306 or visit www.mtsu.edu/accounting/appreciation_day.php.