Due to the Middle Tennessee Boulevard road-widening project, the university has been informed of the following changes affecting traffic on the west side of campus:
• Beginning Monday, June 18, Faulkinberry Drive will be closed from Middle Tennessee Boulevard to Normal Way and will remain closed for several weeks. There will be NO access to or from Faulkinberry at Middle Tennessee Boulevard. There also will be NO pedestrian crossings at this intersection.
• Beginning Monday, June 25, the Bell Street entrance to campus behind the James Union Building at Middle Tennessee Boulevard will be closed and will remain closed for several weeks. There will be NO pedestrian crossings at this intersection. The Raider Express Green Route shuttle will service the Bell Street Lot during this closure. NOTE: The Alma Mater Drive intersection with Middle Tennessee Boulevard will remain open as a right-turn, exit-only intersection.
• Middle Tennessee Boulevard is scheduled to remain open throughout this period. All traffic lights between Greenland Drive and East Main Street will be non-operational and bagged.
• The electronic arm gate at Old Main Circle next to the Cope Administration Building will remain open to facilitate traffic flow.
NOTE: After June 25 and until these intersections are reopened for vehicular traffic, there will be NO pedestrian crossings of Middle Tennessee Boulevard between Greenland Drive and East Main Street.
A full campus map outlining these changes can be found at MT Boulevard MTSU Campus Construction Map. A condensed map is below.
Work continues to progress on the $15.7 million widening project, which will upgrade the .8-mile section of the thoroughfare between East Main and Greenland. The city of Murfreesboro is overseeing the work, which is expected to be completed some time this fall.
The enhancement will also include divided landscaped medians, bike lanes, improved sidewalks and lighting, new traffic signals, decorative crosswalks and underground utilities.
When the project is complete, the west side of campus also will be affected in the following ways:
- A pull-in area for buses is being added to the front of Murphy Center.
- Pedestrian crossings with signals will be added at Lytle and Division Streets, and crosswalks at Bell Street and Faulkinberry Drive will be upgraded.
- Brick walls with signage are being erected at the corners of Greenland Drive and Lytle, and another wall is being added at East Main Street, to better define the university’s boundaries.
- Flagpoles will be erected at Faulkinberry Drive.