Middle Tennessee State University again enlisted a diverse cast of students, faculty, staff and alumni to recite the latest video expression of what is becoming a cherished Blue Raider tradition.
The True Blue Pledge is recited each fall at MTSU’s annual University Convocation ceremony during which university President Sidney A. McPhee, top executives and faculty formally welcome new students to campus and explains MTSU rituals and traditions.
The pledge, which begins with the simple phrase “I am True Blue,” underscores MTSU’s core values of honesty and integrity; respect for diversity; engagement in the community; and committing to reason, not violence.
“These words express not only the ideals the University wishes to share with its students but also our devotion to student success,” said McPhee, who enlisted a task force several years ago to develop the university’s foundational values and ultimately the pledge that captures the spirit of those values.
The True Blue Pledge reads:
“I am True Blue.
“As a member of this diverse community, I am a valuable contributor to its progress and success. I am engaged in the life of this community. I am a recipient and a giver.
“I am a listener and a speaker. I am honest in word and deed. I am committed to reason, not violence. I am a learner now and forever.
“I am a BLUE RAIDER. True Blue!”
Those appearing in the video, in order of appearance, include:
- Courtney Brandon — Student Government Association president
- Gonzalo Morell Raschiatore — MTSU men’s tennis
- Jessica Schriver — MTSU Equestrian Team manager
- Steve Smith — Board of Trustees chairman, alumnus
- Briana Thomas — student
- Devin Pope — ROTC, student ambassador
- Joey Gray — Faculty Senate president
- Nathanael Asrat — student ambassador
- Emily Oppmann — Buchanan Fellow
- Adrienne Howard — graduate student
- Karen Petersen — interim dean, College of Liberal Arts
- Leah Perry — Campus School student
- Thomas Denney — Interfraternity Council president
- Alex Johnson — MTSU women’s basketball
- Alan Thomas — MTSU vice president for Business and Finance
For more information about MTSU’s True Blue initiative, visit www.mtsu.edu/trueblue.