The 27th annual Accounting Alumni Appreciation Day at Middle Tennessee State University will be held from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, April 26, in the State Farm Lecture Hall (S102) of the Business and Aerospace Building.
The event is targeted to those interested in accounting, taxation and computer training. The fee is $125 for MTSU alumni and $175 for all others. Net proceeds will go to accounting scholarships. Lunch will be provided at the Student Union Building.
Participants will earn eight hours of CPE credit and have the opportunity to visit with alumni and former professors as well as see how the campus is changing. Department chair and professor Jeannie Harrington will welcome attendees.
Among the morning session speakers are Burn Phillips, an MTSU alumnus and commissioner of Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development, who will talk about “The Future of Work”; and MTSU accounting professor Paula Thomas, who will provide the “FASB Update” on the Financial Accounting Standards Board.
Breakout sessions (Rooms S308 and S316) and leaders will include:
- “Federal Tax Update (two sessions),” MTSU professor Tim Koski
- “Tennessee-Specific Ethics (two sessions),” MTSU lecturer Merredith Mooth
- “Audit Update,” MTSU associate professor John Wermert
- “Microsoft Excel for Accounting Professionals: The ‘If’ Function,” MTSU assistant professor Kelly Williams
- “Accounting Visualizations/Tableau,” MTSU associate professor Andrea Kelton
- “Personal Strategy Map and Balanced Scorecard,” MTSU professor Stephen Salter
There will be two late afternoon general sessions. MTSU associate professor Tammy Bahmanziari will present “Blockchain.” The final session will be Wes Bynum of Bynum CPA presenting “Cloud Accounting and Firm Technology: The Future is Now.”
Seating is limited, so participants should register early. To do so, visit http://www.mtsu.edu/accounting/seminars.php and click on the registration button. For registration questions, email Sarah.Olsen@mtsu.edu or call 615-898-5306.
— Jimmy Hart (firstname.lastname@example.org)