MTSU’s Jennings A. Jones College of Business recently honored top faculty members with its Fall Faculty Awards.
The 2015 awards and recipients were as follows:
• The Kathy and Bill Jones Outstanding Faculty Award was presented to Nita Brooks, assistant professor in the Department of Computer Information Systems. Brooks received her doctorate in business with a focus in information systems from the University of Arkansas. She currently teaches in both the undergraduate and graduate programs in CIS in the areas of information systems security and data communications and networking. Her current research interests include information systems workforce, security and privacy, project commitment, and information systems education.
• The E.W. “Wink” Midgett Distinguished Service Award was presented to Laura Buckner, an instructor and coordinator of the internship program in the Department of Marketing. Bucker, who holds an MBA from the Owen Graduate School of Management at Vanderbilt University, works with students to secure real-world work experience with businesses throughout the Midstate. She also develops programs and events designed to aid students in professional development, supports student organizations and has coached the student sales team.
• The E.W. “Wink” Midgett Distinguished Research Award was presented to Jason DeBacker, assistant professor in the Department of Economics and Finance. DeBacker, who holds a doctorate in economics from the University of Texas at Austin, pursues research focused on tax policy, with an emphasis on business taxation and the macroeconomic effects of taxation. His research has received coverage in the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, and other outlets.
• The E.W. “Wink” Midgett Distinguished Teaching Award was presented to Rebecca Foote, accounting instructional coordinator in the Department of Accounting. In her role of accounting instructional coordinator, Foote coordinates the Intermediate Readiness Initiative and the curriculum for the principles of accounting courses for the Department of Accounting. She teaches Principles of Accounting II for accounting majors and is engaged in research relative to the effect of intervention mechanisms on student success in upper division accounting courses.
• The E.W. “Wink” Midgett Faculty Excellence Award was presented to Scott Seipel, associate professor in the Department of Computer Information Systems. Seipel, who holds a doctorate in applied statistics from the University of Texas at Arlington, played a principal role in developing the business intelligence and analytics courses and program and redesigned an innovative new undergraduate course that teaches hands-on development of business intelligence and analysis skills.
During the Aug. 21 faculty meeting, Jones College Dean David Urban also honored professor Steve Lewis for his years of service as chair of the former Department of Business Communication and Entrepreneurship. Lewis is returning to the classroom.
Also recognized, but unable to attend the awards presentation, was Kenneth Hollman, who retired Sept. 1 after 33 years as chair of the Tommy T. Martin Chair of Insurance.
For more information about the Jones College of Business, visit www.mtsu.edu/business.
— Jimmy Hart (firstname.lastname@example.org)