MTSU will present several events designed to shed light on adult relationships and mature ways of dealing with them.
“Sexual Responsibility and Consent Week,” which is slated for Feb. 10-14, will include five separate events aimed at reaching college students by taking on topics such as dating, sexual assault, definitions of masculinity and understanding when consent is and is not given.
• Former Vanderbilt University and professional basketball player Shan Foster will discuss “Creating a Culture of Non-Violence and Healthy Masculinity” in a 6 p.m. session for women and a 7:30 p.m. session for men Tuesday, Feb. 11, in the Tennessee Room of the James Union Building. This event is co-sponsored by MTSU Athletics, Institutional Equity and Compliance and the Power of ONE.
• “U Up? Deciphering the Language of Consent” is slated for 4 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 12, in Room S276 of the Business and Aerospace Building. Hypothetical scenarios will be presented to allow attendees to determine whether two people had a consensual interaction. Attendees will be able to share their views through anonymous polling.
• Kelly Hill, Power of ONE grant coordinator, will help facilitate a condensed bystander intervention course at 10 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 13, in Room 210 of the Student Union. Amy Dean, MTSU’s advocate in sexual assault cases, and sexual assault investigator Jon Fehlman will talk about their roles and discuss resources available to MTSU students.
• “Sex and the City,” an interactive workshop, is scheduled for 3 p.m. Thursday in Room S276 of the Business and Aerospace Building. Based on a 2019 survey of MTSU students, the workshop will address preventative health care strategies, contraceptive trends, abstinence and sexually transmitted infection transmission and treatment.
• “First Mate: Soul Mate, or Nah?” will take place at 4:20 p.m. Thursday in Room S276 of the Business and Aerospace Building. This workshop will address relationship abuse, healthy relationships and ways to intervene to help a friend.
For more information, contact Hill at 615-494-8899 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
— Gina Logue (email@example.com)