New and returning MTSU student veterans and their families are welcome to attend a “newcomers briefing” provided by the Charlie and Hazel Daniels Veterans and Military Family Center.
The event will be held from 5 to 7:45 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 24, in Cantrell Hall in the Tom H. Jackson Building, 628 Alma Mater Drive. To find the location and parking, visit www.mtsu.edu/parking/documents/parking-map.pdf.
The briefing is an orientation customized for military-connected students and their families. It will focus on campus resources, said Dr. Hilary Miller, center director.
Miller and her staff are targeting new-to-MTSU student veterans and family members, but it is open to all student vets and their families, she said.
“Our goal is to make sure they have on-campus contacts for all offices that can help them be successful,” Miller said. “We want them to know the center staff, be connected to us and know other student veterans.”
The schedule includes:
- Dinner and resource fair from 5 to 5:45 p.m.
- Welcome, introduction of staff and center’s mission, led by Keith M. Huber, senior adviser for veterans and leadership initiatives and retired U.S. Army lieutenant general.
- Veterans’ introductions.
- Current center programs and fall semester events, led by Miller.
- MTSU and Veterans relationship, led by Dr. Derek Frisby, an MTSU alumnus and professor in the Global Studies and Cultural Geography Program in the College of Liberal Arts.
- Discovering campus resources, including tours of the Daniels Center and information about G.I. Bill, VetSuccess on Campus, tutoring and more.
- a college challenge from Miller, emphasizing graduation and employment expectations.
— Randy Weiler (Randy.Weiler@mtsu.edu)