The 21st annual Accounting Alumni Appreciation Day at Middle Tennessee State University will be held Thursday, April 26, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., in the State Farm Lecture Hall of the Business and Aerospace Building.
The event is targeted to those interested in accounting, taxation, and computer training. The fee will be $100 for MTSU alumni and $150 for all others interested. Net proceeds will be earmarked for accounting scholarships. Lunch will be provided.
Participants will earn eight hours of continuing professional education credit and have the opportunity to visit with alumni and former professors to see how the campus configuration is changing.
Dr. E. James Burton, dean of the Jennings A. Jones College of Business, will open the conference with a session on “Ethical Issues in Accounting.” Jim Wilson, owner and president of Wilson & Wilson PC in Nashville , then will discuss “Expert Witnessing by the Book.”
During the afternoon general session, Dr. David Penn, director, MTSU Business and Economics Resources Center, will discuss “Regional Economic Update and Forecast.” Steve Brugman, president and CEO of The Nexus Group in Nashville, will end the conference with a session on “Data Storage and Retrieval.”
Breakout sessions’ leaders and their topics will include:
• Dr. Tammy Bahmanziari, MTSU assistant professor — “Advanced Excel and Microsoft Access”;
• Dr. Stan Clark, MTSU associate professor — “Update on Private Company Financial Reporting”;
• Dr. Lara Daniel, MTSU professor — “Update on the Health Care Law”;
• Dr. Tim Koski, MTSU professor — “Issues in Taxation”;
• Bill Mooningham, MTSU instructor — “Audit Update”;
• Dr. G. Robert Smith, interim chair of MTSU Department of Accounting — “Governmental Accounting Standards Board Update”;
• Dr. Paula Thomas, MTSU professor — “Financial Accounting Standards Board Update”;
• Dr. Pat Wall, MTSU associate professor — “Employment Law Update”;
• Dr. Anne Wilkins, MTSU assistant professor — “Communicating Negative Information”; and
• Wilson, CPA and CFE with Wilson & Wilson PC — “The Expert Witness on the Witness Stand-Cross Examination.”
Seating is limited, so participants should register early. To do so, visit http://www.mtsu.edu/accounting. For more information, call the MTSU Department of Accounting at 615-898-5306.