As the fall 2019 semester begins in earnest, a diverse collection of Middle Tennessee State University students, faculty, staff and alumni have once again reaffirmed the university’s values for a new academic year in the latest video expression (embedded above) of what has become a cherished Blue Raider tradition.
The True Blue Pledge is recited each fall at MTSU’s annual University Convocation ceremony, when university President Sidney A. McPhee, top administrators and faculty formally welcome new students to campus and explain MTSU rituals and traditions. New MTSU Student Government Association President Delanie McDonald led students and thousands of supporters in reciting the pledge at the Aug. 24 Convocation at Murphy Center.
The pledge, which begins with the simple phrase “I am True Blue,” underscores MTSU’s core values of honesty and integrity; respect for diversity; engagement in the community; and committing to reason, not violence.
“‘I am True Blue’ isn’t just a slogan, it is a straightforward affirmation that you are part of a community that shares certain values and works together to further the progress and success of our great university,” said McPhee, who enlisted a task force in 2011 to develop the university’s foundational values and ultimately the pledge that captures the spirit of those values.
The True Blue Pledge reads:
“I am True Blue.
“As a member of this diverse community, I am a valuable contributor to its progress and success. I am engaged in the life of this community. I am a recipient and a giver.
“I am a listener and a speaker. I am honest in word and deed. I am committed to reason, not violence. I am a learner now and forever.
“I am a BLUE RAIDER. True Blue!”
Those appearing in the video, in order of appearance, include:
- Delanie McDonald – public relations major; MTSU Student Government Association president
- Jewel Wallace-Mcleod – nutrition and food science major; event coordinator for the Nutrition and Dietetics Association
- Aidan Galdino – aerospace-professional pilot major; MTSU Men’s Soccer Club player
- Dr. Guanping Zheng – interim vice provost for international affairs
- Makayla Stubblefield – speech-language pathology and audiology major; Blue Elite, student orientation assistant
- Ginger Freeman – director, Alumni Relations; MTSU alumnus (’89 and ’92)
- Ben Sawyer – senior instructor, history; producer and co-host of “The Road to Now” podcast
- Sarah Besand – elementary education major; student orientation assistant
- Sarah Oppmann – theatre and media and entertainment major; College of Liberal Arts emissary
- Dr. Nicky Wu – assistant professor, leisure, sport and tourism studies
- Shepherd and Emery Flowers – Campus School students; future Blue Raiders
- Kayla Henley – business major; MTSU Women’s volleyball player
- Donovan Sims – leisure, sport and tourism studies major; MTSU men’s basketball player
- Mayce Vaughan – psychology major; vice president of administration of Alpha Omicron Pi; student orientation assistant
- Andrew Oppmann – vice president for marketing and communications
For more information about MTSU’s True Blue initiative, visit www.mtsu.edu/trueblue.