Several thousand Middle Tennessee State University students converged on the Student Union Commons for two days, meeting local businesses, church and religious organizations and restaurants — some seeking full- and part-time employees and some offering donut holes and other goodies.
The new and returning students, plus MTSU staff, met 55 vendors attending “Meet Murfreesboro Tuesday and Wednesday, Aug. 29-30, on the east side of campus.
Meet Murfreesboro is an annual two-day session where MTSU students, faculty and staff can learn more about area businesses and organizations, including representatives from the state of Tennessee Emergency Preparedness overdose response team.
With great weather, Gina Poff, New Student and Family Programs director, said a large turnout attended the event.
“Lots of people,” she said. “Our vendors were very happy. They enjoy going around the different tents and tables as much as students and faculty.”
Donut Country brought 40 dozen doughnut holes each day. Smoothie King poured beverage samples. Kroger, Roscoe Brown, Chick-fil-A (with long lines at their table), City of Murfreesboro, People of Hope, Murfreesboro Medical Clinic and other vendors attended.
Keyshaun Billingsley, 20, a junior animation major from Knoxville, Tennessee, said Meet Murfreesboro “put out a good vibe. It’s a good place to meet people and there’s a good amount of people here.”
Thi Da, a senior psychology major from Nashville, Tennessee, planning to graduate in spring of 2024, said it was her first time to attend, and she was “trying to see what’s in it, what they are offering, what type of benefits because it’s something I may need in the future.”
Upcoming Connection Point events
• Resource Fair — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 31, in Student Union Atrium; sponsored by MT One Stop.
• Fight Song — 7 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 31, Murphy Center; sponsored by Student Government Association.
• MTSU vs. Alabama football watch party — 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 2, in Student Union Atrium; sponsored by SGA.
• Student Organization Fair — 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 5, in Student Union Commons; sponsored by Student Organizations and Service.
• Power of One Block Party — 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 6, on Campus Recreation Center sundeck; sponsored by June Anderson Center for Women and Nontraditional Students.
• Crash the Commons — 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 7, Student Union Commons; sponsored by Fraternity and Sorority Life, Collegiate Panhellenic, Interfraternity Council and National Panhellenic Council.
— Randy Weiler (Randy.Weiler@mtsu.edu)